Guest Post: 6 reasons why AiSPI uses Modo for Business!
Guest Post by Elisabeth Ormandy: 6 reasons why the Animals in Science Policy Institute uses Modo for Business
Modo member and Executive Director of the AiSPI, Elisabeth Ormandy shares her Modo for Business experience with us.
In 2015, some colleagues and I co-founded a new Vancouver-based charity called the Animals in Science Policy Institute. Our main aim is to build an ethical culture of science that respects animal life by promoting the reduction and replacement on animals in research, teaching and testing. One of our current key projects is on non-animal alternatives for high school dissection. Part of this project involves going conferences, educational events, and for visits with teachers and students at their schools. To get around to all these events, we are proud members of Modo!
Reasons why we love our Modo membership, and our trusty Kia Rondo:
- Being a member of a carshare rather than having our own vehicle is part of our Green Policy as an organization. As the organization’s Executive Director, I either cycle or take transit to our Gastown office space. However, access to a vehicle when we need one to transport our booth and other materials to events is essential for us to be able to get out there and do our work.
- Modo helps keep our travel costs down, which frees up our budget for other things. One key way that Modo does that for us is by capping the daily rental cost at 8 hours. We often need a vehicle from early in the morning to late at night, so to only be charged for 8 hours when we have a car for 10-12 hours is a major perk for us.
- As a Vancouver-based charity, it’s important for us to be part of our local community for social impact. We have an office space at the HiVE co-work space for social impact on West Hastings, who are also big Modo fans. It’s important for us to support a great co-op like Modo, who are a big part of our local community.
- The variety of vehicles offered by Modo suits our needs perfectly. As you can see our exhibition booth and other materials all fit perfectly into a Kia Rondo, which has been our staple car whenever we need to get all our things to conferences and other events. For one-on-one visits with teachers, we usually rent a smaller vehicle (like the awesome Nissan Versa that’s parked right outside my house in East Van!).
- Modo support staff are awesome! Every interaction with Modo staff has been great, and any issues (of which there have been very few) have been resolved quickly.
- When we founded AiSPI, I was a new driver and I was delighted that, unlike some other car shares, Modo didn’t require 3-years driving experience. This was really important for us as an organization because as our primary staff member, I’m the one who goes to all our events and school visits. Without Modo’s acceptance of new drivers, I would have had to either get my own vehicle, or rely on our volunteer team (which is a huge ask!).
For all these reasons and more, we wouldn’t have nearly as much impact without our Modo membership. Thanks, Modo, for being an amazing supporter of local communities and charities like ours—you make our work possible!
Dr. Elisabeth Ormandy
Executive Director: Animals in Science Policy Institute
If you’re a teacher, student or parent and would like to learn more about how to replace animals in dissection with cool virtual tools, please connect with us at: email@example.com
If you’d like to support our work, head on over to our website to check out how to donate, become a member or become a volunteer.